*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE *
April 28, 2015
Senator Jerry Stevenson
Senate Chair of the Prison Relocation Commission
Representative Brad Wilson
House Chair of the Prison Relocation Commission
Brian J. Bean, Policy Analyst
Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel
UTAH PRISON RELOCATION COMMISSION TO HOST OPEN HOUSES/Q&A
Events Set for Salt Lake, Tooele, and Utah Counties
SALT LAKE CITY – Three informational public open houses have been scheduled for citizens to learn about the five potential sites for the new Utah State Correctional Facility. Events will be held in Salt Lake, Tooele, and Utah counties.
Sponsored by the Prison Relocation Commission (PRC), each event will include an open house at which attendees can browse informational displays and talk with staff members from the PRC, the Utah Department of Corrections, the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice, and the PRC’s consulting team.
Following the open house, a moderated question-and-answer session will also be held to allow attendees an opportunity to ask questions, hear their neighbor’s questions and concerns, and receive answers to those questions.
Attendees will be asked to submit their questions before and during the Q&A session.
“We are committed to making this decision-making process as transparent as possible and encouraging meaningful public participation,” says Rep. Brad Wilson, co-chair of the PRC. “We want to take this opportunity to both educate the public and get their feedback.”
At each event, the open house displays will be available from 4 to 9 p.m.
The Q&A sessions will be held from 7 to 9 p.m.
Event dates and locations are:
Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 4 – 9 p.m.
Promontory Building, Utah State Fairpark
155 N 1000 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
Thursday, May 28, 2015, 4 – 9 p.m.
Grantsville High School
155 E. Cherry Street
Grantsville, UT 84029
Tuesday, June 2, 2015, 4 – 9 p.m.
Frontier Middle School
1427 Mid Valley Road
Eagle Mountain, UT 84005
The PRC also intends to hold a formal public hearing regarding finalist sites. The five finalist sites being considered by the PRC as the new location for the Utah State Correctional Facility are as follows:
* I-80 / 7200 West in Salt Lake County – This site is located west of the Salt Lake City International Airport.
* SR 112/Depot Boundary Road in Tooele County – This site is located near the Miller Motor Sports Park between the cities of Tooele and Grantsville.
* Lake Mountains West in Utah County – This site is located at the southernmost part of Eagle Mountain City.
* Cedar Valley South in Utah County – This site is located southwest of Eagle Mountain City at the southern end of the town of Fairfield along SR 73.
* SR 138 Industrial Site in Tooele County – This site is located near the Walmart Distribution Center on the west side of SR 138 in Grantsville.
# # #
For more information about the Prison Relocation Commission, please visit the PRC committee page at le.utah.gov/prc.